APLS to fill position for library consultant with youth services experience
Aug. 17, 2022
The Alabama Public Library Service (APLS) is the state agency that serves all citizens of Alabama through more than 220 public libraries in 67 counties. We are charged with improving library services throughout the state to ensure that all citizens have access to quality library information services. We do this through our five divisions (Administration, Library Development, Information Technology, Reference, and the Regional Library for the Blind and Physically Disabled).
APLS is seeking a library consultant with extensive youth services experience to help us achieve our mission by providing high-quality services and resources to Alabama’s public library directors and youth services staff.
The ideal candidate will:
- Assist state library in developing strategies, goals, and objectives for statewide youth services.
- Help libraries promote an interest in reading and learning through their public library.
- Plan, develop and coordinate training to deliver innovative library services for children, families, and caregivers.
- Participate with others in cross-functional teams to accomplish goals and objectives.
- Successfully manage programs and projects.
- Have excellent communication skills in writing and presenting to groups.
Responsibilities and Roles
- Serves as the Alabama Representative for the Collaborative Summer Library Program (CSLP).
- Serves as APLS point of contact for the Summer Library Program and works with an advisory Summer Library Program Board.
- Serves as a subject matter expert on youth services (0 years – 18 years) in public libraries.
- Five years of professional public library experience in Children’s, Young Adult’s, and/or Youth Services.
- Master of Library Science (MLS) or a Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS) degree from an accredited library school
$51,177.60 - $86,037.60 (as of August 2022)
40 hours per week on-site.
Approximately 5 to 15 percent travel. Travel includes in-state and some out-of-state, occasionally overnight and weekends.
How to Apply
If you are interested, please submit an application through the State of Alabama Personnel Department’s website, https://www.personnel.alabama.gov/Jobs. The Library Consultant position announcement located on the website will have a generic description. Review of applications will begin in mid-September.